- Senior/Principal IT Engineer
- Closing Date: 30/09/2010
Responsible to: Head of IT Services
Job Purpose: This is a technical role which encompasses the implementation, maintenance and development of the college's core ICT systems and associated peripherals including desktop systems, printing and the telephony system. Working to ITIL best practice guidelines, the post holder will utilise their technical skills to ensure that the college's systems are operating to levels of operational effectiveness to meet the needs of the college. Working under the direction of the Head of IT Services, the work will focus on maintaining and developing the systems. It is expected that much of the work will be performed from a central location including the development and use of software deployment tools. The role will require adherence to the college's ITIL processes of Change, Release, Capacity and Availability Management to ensure that the services can deliver the required level of quality and availability.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
1 To maintain the core server systems and associated devices including the Storage Area Networks and VM Infrastructure, ensuring that the systems are secure and that they are operating at their optimal performance level.
2 To proactively monitor the core systems including the ICT network ensuring that analysis of logs is regularly carried out and that proactive work is undertaken to ensure of systems availability in line with the business needs.
3 To work with the Engineering Team and Head of IT Services to evaluate, select, implement, and when required, design and develop IT Solutions in response to college requirements.
4 To manage the resolution of technical problems assigned by the Service Desk to the Systems and Networks team ensuring that issues are resolved inline with Service level agreements and ensuring that the users are kept up to date as work progresses.
5 To manage the administration of Active Directory and related functions including group policies and scripting.
6 To manage the network printing services including the deployment of printers and associated management software.
7 To work with the Service Desk Supervisor to manage the asset records system ensuring that all ICT assets are recorded and that all technical documentation related to the systems operation is controlled and updated in line with changes to the infrastructure.
8 To work with the Head of the ICT Service to ensure that SLA targets for problem resolution and systems development are met.
9 To manage the backup and recovery procedures ensuring the validity of backups and that the service has the ability to recover systems in the event of failure.
10 To update the disaster recovery documentation in line with changes to the infrastructure and verify validity of DR procedures by performing regular testing.
11 To manage the telephony systems including software features and routine maintenance.
12 To work with the Principal Engineer to manage effective software deployment and Antivirus/AntiMalware distribution.
13 To provide weekly reports from the Systems and Network Team and to work with other senior members of the IT Service to develop and improve the quality of service provision.
14 To provide support on projects across the College including the deployment of software and hardware.
15 To undertake training and personal development where necessary. To maintain awareness of new and emerging technologies and services in order to improve the service to customers.
16 To comply with the College's policies and procedures including Health and Safety Legislation, Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults and those covering all aspects of Equality and Diversity.
17 To carry out other such duties that are appropriate to the level of the post or as may be required by the Principal or Head of Service.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate the following:
An IT related Degree or Professional qualifications in IT systems and networking or equivalent qualification. Significant experience in place of formal qualifications will be acceptable.
* Minimum two years experience working within an IT environment (ideally some time within the education sector)
* Significant experience in PC and server hardware and software maintenance.
* Knowledge of TCP/IP networks and experience in the configuration of network devices including routers, switches and firewalls.
* Thorough understanding of Server Virtualisation
* In depth understanding of Windows Server 2003 and / or Server 2008
* Management experience of Active Directory
* Understanding of Microsoft Exchange 2003/7
* Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite of programs.
* Knowledge of Apple Macintosh O/S
* Knowledge of Thin Client systems
* Knowledge or experience of computer programming languages
* Experience working within an ITIL based service
* Focussed on delivering a customer service to a high standard
* The ability to take ‘ownership' of assigned work and to complete this within agreed timescales and to agreed quality standards.
* Ability to project manage implementation of complex technical solutions.
* Ability to work flexible hours to meet deadlines
* Committed to working to a high quality professional standard.
* Able to lead and work with team members.
* Able to prioritise and work alone to complete a task.
* Ability to clearly communicate to customers in both technical and non technical manner.
* Able to remain calm and polite no matter what the pressures.
* Ability to recognise problems and deal with issues effectively.
* Initiative and energy to work to a high standard under pressure.
* Ability to work to deadlines without compromising quality or accuracy.
* Commitment to personal and professional development.
* A good team worker with excellent communication skills
* Ability to relay technical issues clearly in non technical terms to service users
* Patience and understanding
* Good sense of humour
Terms and Conditions
1 This is a full-time appointment - 37 hours per week flexible working time to cover business operations and emergencies, 52 weeks per year. Flexible working will be at the discretion of the Head of IT Services. At certain times of the year weekend work will be required for which time off in lieu will be given.
2 Normal hours of duty are:
Monday to Thursday 8.30 a.m. - 5.00 p.m.
Friday 8.30 a.m. - 4.30 p.m.
3 Salary is £25,262 - £29,384 per annum. There is only one post; appointment will be made at either Principal or Senior Engineer depending upon qualifications and experience.
4 It is a condition of appointment that the salary will be paid directly into a bank or building society account.
5 The post is subject to a six-month probationary period. This is seen as essentially a supportive time however unsatisfactory performance may lead to termination of contract. During the probation period 4 mandatory training units must be undertaken. The training sessions are Safeguarding Children, Health and Safety, Disability Discrimination Act and Equal Opportunities
6 The successful applicant will be required to apply for an enhanced disclosure from the Criminal Records Bureau. Further information about the Disclosure scheme can be found at www.disclosure.gov.uk or by contacting the information line on 0870 90 90 811
7 Annual holiday entitlement is 29 days plus public bank holidays per year.
8 The appointee will be automatically brought into the Local Government Pension Scheme but has the opportunity to opt out. Contributions are 6.5% of salary.
9 Sick leave will be in accordance with the procedures laid down by the Strode College Board of Governors.