Financial Support

Degrees and HNDs


All UK or EU citizens, resident in UK for the last three years and not previously funded for more than one year are entitled to apply for a student loan.

Part-time students
All part-time students can receive a loan to cover the full cost of fees in the same way as full-time students. There is no help available to cover living costs.

Full-time students
All full-time students are entitled to a Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan to help with living costs. Those from lower income households will also receive a non-repayable Maintenance Grant.


Support available

Fee Loan
This covers the full cost of your fees, so there is nothing to pay upfront.

Maintenance Loan
This will help cover your living costs. The amount varies depending on your household income. The calculation below is based on 2013 entry for those aged 25+ years, or those living independent of parents for 3+ years and is intended as a guide only. The loan for applicants under 25 years, living in parental home is approximately 20% less. Detailed information on the 2014 entry loan will be released in January 2014.

Household Income £25,000 £30,000 £35,000 £40,000 £50,000 £60,000
Maintenance Loan £3823 £4292 £4761 £5230 £4788 £3788


Maintenance Grant
If eligible, see below, you will also get this nonrepayable grant. Figures below are based on 2013 entry.

Household Income £25,000 £30,000 £35,000 £40,000 £50,000 £60,000
Maintenance Loan £3354 £2416 £1478 £540 £0 £0


Access to Learning Fund
Students in hardship during their course may be entitled to help from Strode College. Contact Strode Student Support on 01458 844545.

National Scholarship Awards
These are specifically for first year students on Strode HND or Foundation Degrees. The awards are based on need and are available for up to six full time students and one part time student. Further information will be made available to successful applicants. 


Repaying the Loan

Repayment only begins in the April after the course finishes and only if you are earning over £21,000 (based on 2013 figures). Interest above inflation is not charged after this unless your earnings are over £21,000. If your earnings drop below this, repayments stop. Repayments are deducted at source like tax.


How to apply to Student Finance England (SFE)

Apply online from January 2014 onwards at or call 0300 100 0607 for a paper application. This information is intended as a guide only. Contact SFE for more details.


Higher Education Bursary 2014-2015


National Scholarship Programme awards 2014-2015


Access to Higher Education and Art and Design Foundation Studies (Pre-degree Diploma)

24+ Advanced Learning Loan

If you are aged 24 or over and want to study on Access to Higher Education Diploma, Art and Design Foundation Studies (Pre-degree Diploma) or a Higher Apprenticeship, you will need to pay for the cost of your course.

A new loan scheme has been introduced by the government to help learners. A 24+ Advanced Learning Loan is easy to apply for, doesn’t take your household income into account and doesn’t involve a credit check.

The minimum loan amount is £300. If you take out a loan you can take out the maximum amount to cover your fee or you can pay all or part of the fee yourself. At enrolment you will be asked to pay the difference between the loan and the full fee.

Learners who take a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan for an Access to Higher Education course and then go on to complete a degree will have their loan for the Access course written off.

For further information request our leaflet or visit our website.


Repaying your loan

Repayment only begins in the April after the course finishes and only if you are earning over £21,000. If your earnings drop below this, repayments stop. Repayments are deducted at source like tax.


Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector and Psychotherapeutic Counselling Diploma

There is no available financial support for these courses.


Children, disability or medical condition

You may be entitled to additional financial support if you have children or other dependants or have a disability or chronic medical condition.

Students with a disability, an on-going medical condition or a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, may qualify for a non-repayable Disabled Students’ Allowance. This allowance is applied for through Student Finance England.

If you have children or other dependants you may also be eligible for a grant to cover some of your childcare costs.


Part-time work

Strode College recognises that more and more students are working while studying, mainly to fund their fees and avoid debts.

We will do our best to build timetables which require two days in college so that a part-time job can be accommodated.