These courses provide a good grounding for entry into a wide variety of IT careers and sectors such as business, industry, education and the mass media. They can also lead onto continued higher education. Possible careers include: web designer and developer, data analyst, computer games designer, network manager, computer programmer, graphic designer, software engineer, network engineer and many management roles in a range of industries.
Length of study
The HND is a two year full-time course with teaching sessions usually timetabled over two consecutive days. This gives maximum flexibility for undertaking work experience placements and maintaining employment commitments.
Year 1 (HND and HNC)
- Business Skills for e-Commerce
- Computer Systems
- Employability and Professional Development
- Networking Technologies
- Website Design
- Database Design Concepts
- Human Computer Interaction
- Object Oriented Programming
Year 2 (HND)
- Data Analysis and Design
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation
- Web Applications Development
- Computer Games Design and Development
- Programming in Java
- IT Security Management
- Digital Forensics
- Work Based Experience
You will have the opportunity to take part in an overseas residential visit. Previous destinations have included CERN and other sites in Switzerland and various sites in Germany. Costs for trips are additional to course fees. There will also be opportunities to gain relevant IT related work experience.
You will be assessed using a variety of methods including:
- the creation of fully tested functioning software;
- formal written reports;
- practical tasks;
- the evaluation of case studies;
- in-class tests both written and online.
The awarding body is Edexcel (Pearson).
- Julie Wheadon BSc (Hons)
- Dylan Whittingham MSc, BA (Hons), PGCE
- David Howarth BSc (Hons), PGCE
- Keith Ripper BSc (Hons), PGCE
- Deen Najubudeen LLM, LLB (Hons)
Full-time HND fee £6,750 per year. See HE Tuition fees for more information.
Trips and visits are not mandatory; additional costs will apply.
You may be eligible for a student loan, or your employer may wish to support you on this programme.
Higher Education Loans
For this course you can apply for an Higher Education student tuition fee loan. See below 'Financial support and loans'.
For this course we are unable to offer any fee discounts – see below 'Fees and finances'.