Biology/Human Biology A level
We are proud of our record of excellence in Biology over many years.
We set high standards and expectations of students in terms of homework, test performance, attendance and contribution to lessons. Lessons are varied and interesting with excellent practical sessions to allow them to develop these important skills. There is a well-developed Moodle course with copies of class material as well as revision PowerPoint presentations, extra practice questions and extension activities.
Staff are very motivated and give a lot of their free time to support students.
As well as the big field trip that is offered every year, to faraway places such as Sri Lanka, Belize and Uganda we also organize trips/speakers throughout the year for example:
- Bristol University Biochemistry department to do practical workshop and lectures on topics such as diabetes and genetic engineering
- University of London, Institute of Education - day of lectures on aspects of DNA and Genetics
- Bristol Zoo - workshop on classification
- Two students from Exeter University spent the day with us as part of the 'borrow a scientist for a day' scheme. They led sessions on cholera to 5 AS teaching groups and discussed with students the pros and cons of university life.
- Coastal field work on Studland sand dunes looking particularly at succession
All students who are applying to university in a biological area are offered practice interviews. This is of particular use to the medics, vets and dentists as well as the Oxbridge Natural Scientists. These students, in general, do well at interview and receive offers from the universities of their choice. In 2011 for example students achieved places at the following Universities:
|University Destinations 2011
|Edward Tye (profile)||Bristol||Biochemistry with Medical Biochemistry||2011|
|Jack Fuller||Plymouth||Biological Sciences||2011|
|Sophia Kolokotroni||Bournemouth||Biological Sciences||2011|
|Jennifer Back||Exeter||Biological Sciences with Study Abroad (4 years)||2011|
|Joshua Hawkshaw||Hertfordshire||Biotechnology with a year in North America||2011|
|Helen Gosling||Nottingham||Agriculture also with a Certificate in European Studies (Biosciences)||2011|
|Christian Alexander||Worcester||Human Biology||2011|
|Olivia Magill||Environmental Biology||2011|
|Emily Davies||Nottingham||Veterinary Science||2011|
|Helen Callaby (profile)||Medicine||2011|
|Hollie White (profile)||Physiotherapy||2011|
|Kirsten Sellick||Peninsula College||Medicine||2011|