Human Biology A Level
Course code: AL3BH
Related News Stories
What will I do on this course?
Human Biology is a popular and highly successful course. It complements and can be studied with a wide range of other subjects. However, it is complete in itself and is a useful educational experience for students not intending to study human biology at a higher level.
The modules for Biology and Human Biology are similar. However, the specific details and depth of each topic varies. This course will allow you to develop a greater awareness of many aspects of human biology.
AS Modules studied in Year 1
- Module 1: Molecules and Cell Structure
- Module 2: Biodiversity and Physiology.
A2 Modules studied in Year 2
- Module 4: Metabolism, Microbiology and Homeostasis
- Module 5: Inheritance and Ecosystems
All modules include a high proportion of practical work.
- Modules examined in Year 1 - Module 1 & 2: written exam
- Modules examined in Year 2 - Module 4 & 5: written exam
- Coursework: Modules 3 and 6: Practical assessments conducted over the two years (externally marked)
You will have the opportunity to be involved in a number of out-of-college activities, some of which are compulsory. These include revision lectures and an educational visit to Bristol Zoo. Also there may be a chance to join us on a cultural and biological international visit, the last two destinations being to Belize and Uganda.
Best points score for a Non-selective State School for Boys taking Human Biology AS Level in ‘The Good Schools Guide A Level Awards 2006’ for teaching excellence.
Studying human biology will allow you to enter a number of careers, including medicine, nursing, physiotherapy and sport science. It also prepares you for further study in areas such as biotechnology and forensic science.
Students have progressed onto a wide range of medical and biological related degrees at many universities including Cambridge, Cardiff, Exeter, Plymouth, Bristol, Bath and Birmingham.
5 GCSEs at grades A* - C or equivalent. Students must have studied higher tier Maths and Science. A grade B in Single Award Biology or grade BB in Double Award Science AND grade B in Maths is preferred.
- Trips £40 per year approx, see ‘Special features’ section.
- Lab Coat £20 approx.
- Scientific calculator £8 approx (essential).